Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Holy Snaps, It's Vegan MoFo


What with all this hub-bub over Halloween, and the elections (which are almost as rowdy as Halloween, seeing as the shop is next to a Democrat Party stronghold/headquaters), I forgot it was the Vegan Month of Food.



Fail! But seeing as the vegan moto is partially, "at first you don't succeed, put down the cheese and try again", I will try to be more diligent in my postings.



Incidentally, this is the first year I know what Vegan MoFo actually means. I've just spent the pass few years thinking vegan bloggers were super badass and gnarly, like they would take a shot of scotch and slap you in the face with Gardien if you insulted tofu. ANYWAYS...



Seeing as the Midwest, my current basecamp, is less than veggie-friendly, I used the shop Halloween Party to stage a level one vegan infiltration:



Cupcakes


I baked the Golden Vanilla Cupcakes and Chocolate Cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World topped with Fluffy Buttercream Frosting then splattered raspberry syrup on the tops to match my zombie costume. Since becoming vegan, I've fallen into the habit of buying people's love and acceptance with baking. It's a slippery slope, because now every birthday/holiday I end up having the role of cupcake lady. In fact, I was even tempted to bake something for the Democrats next door, like maybe some black and orange cupcakes for Christine McDonnell that have leftover witch toppers on it. Instead I just sacrificed a chocolate chip scone to an effigy of Abraham Lincoln and called it a day.



Good news is that everyone from devout hunters to hockey moms were into the cupcakes, even after they found out they were vegan. Sage's dad even suggested I open up a cafe, seeing as the healthiest place to eat in Yankton is a place at the mall that also sells wigs too. Yuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment