Thursday, November 18, 2010

mofo survery #1

What's your favorite spice or spice blend?



Is it boring if I say cumin? either that or... actually I can't think of a rival.

You have $20 to spend on fresh groceries and produce for the whole week (with a fairly well stocked pantry of dry goods, legumes, grains, and spices). What do you buy?



Knowing me, I'd prolly waste it all on cereal and almond milk. If I was being good, I'd stock up on sweet potatos, onions, garlic, brocolli, spinach, and kale. Out here that would take up the whole 20 dolares.

What's your favorite way to make tofu?
Mmmm. marinated in soy sauce and white wine, coated in corn starch and flour, fried, then sprinkled with salt and pepper. I said I was vegan, I never said I was a saint.



Vegan guilty pleasure?



Ranch dressing-style dip made with dill and Vegenaise, then Snap Pea Crisps for dipping.

If you could make anyone vegan, who would it be?



Ted Nugent... lol







If you could only read one other vegan blog, what would it be?


PPK or cuteanddelicous

Were you always interested in cooking, or did veganism change the way you saw and interacted with food?


I was always super picky and lame with food. I didn't have a burrito until I went vegan at 18! I was the diet coke and pop-tart kinda girl. Veganism introduced me to cooking and being connected with my body and food.

Excluding analogues, what new things have you tried that you probably wouldn't have as an omni?


I hated mayo. Now I love Vegenaise, I guess thats's an analogue tho. I hated most sauces and toppings (ketchup, mustard, gravy).

What is the one vegan staple that everyone seems to love, but you can't get behind?


Pickles! I know they are not a vegan thing, but everyone seems to love them. Josef is the only vegan I know who shares my hatred of pickles, and that, my friends, is true love.

What was your first "wow, I'm such a stereotypical vegan" moment?


The time I got in a screaming arguement with an ex-vegan about "righteous soy" and hot dogs. Ha ha. Or when I ate toast sprinkled with nooch for dinner all week.

First recipe you veganized?


Eggplant parm, I learned to make it at the Italian restruarant I worked at, then veganized it for my boyfriend at the time.



What would you like to veganize, but haven't yet?


Creme Brulee, corn souffle, bread pudding.

Favorite kitchen utensil/appliance?


It used to be my magic bullet, until it was lost to the universe. Now, I guess its the waffle iron my sister gave me.

Most disastrous kitchen failure?


My first time using tofu, I read that I should freeze it to get a meaty texture, so I froze but didn't know to fully defrost. It had the constistency of dog food, blehhh, I think it really put my family off to the whole vegan thing for awhile.

First vegan cookbook?


How it all Vegan, it was my how-to manual when I first changed. I love the PB Cups still.

What question about being vegan do you HATE answering?


What do you eat?! Like the food world consists of eggs, meat, and dairy. I usually respond saying "There are about ten things I don't eat, and a whole universe of things that I do."

If you could tell the world one thing about vegans, what would it be?


We are not elitists or snobs. This isn't a diet trend and being vegan can be easy and fun. I'm with Isa when she says that veganism should be the lifestyle of the people.

Funniest vegetable?


??? Sweet potatos, I guess, because they kinda look like wangs.

What is a family recipe you have veganized?


Our no-bake cookies with oatmeal, peanut butter, and cocoa. And Sonoran Enchiladas. Not much to veganize. It was a shake and bake kinda family.

Weirdest food combination ?


Anything+ potato chips.

Is there something you wish you could veganize, but can't/couldn't?


The only thing I wish for right now is a fully equiped, stocked kitchen, so I could have an answer to that question.

Favorite ways to prepare tofu, seitan, tempeh, any other vegan proteins?


Stirfry when I'm being healthy. Pan-fried and breaded when I am being Whitney.

Are your pets vegan? if so, what do you feed them?


Mostly, I feed him Nature's Recipe Vegetarian Canine Formula and make him dog treats out of peanut butter. Idk, tho, does poop count as vegan? Cause he eats a lot of that when I leave him unattended.



Favorite non-dairy milk?


Almond Breeze Vanilla. Its the cheapest and healthiest avialable out here. Rice Dream is good for a treat, tho.

What’s one “vegan myth” you’d like to squash?


Where do you get your protein? lol. Protein is not hard to get. I also hate that veganism gets a rap for making ppl sick.

4 comments:

  1. ha yeah right. i will have that blanket until i die!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's vegan mofo? Are you being sponsored?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha i wish. its the vegan month of food blogging. your supposed to blog everyday... but i don't. there's a blog roll at veganmofo.com

    ReplyDelete